Creativity is intelligence having fun – Albert Einstein
Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That’s because they were able to connect experiences they’ve had and synthesize new things. And the reason they were able to do that was that they’ve had more experiences or they have thought more about their experiences than other people. Unfortunately, that’s too rare a commodity. A lot of people in our industry haven’t had very diverse experiences. So they don’t have enough dots to connect, and they end up with very linear solutions without a broad perspective on the problem. The broader one’s understanding of the human experience, the better design we will have.– Steve Jobs
- When do I come up with new ideas?
- Why do I come up with ideas at that exact time?
- How can I give myself the ultimate conditions to ideate and be creative?
- How is it that I can’t seen to remember names (having real troubles with it) but with ease can remember and use what I’ve read months ago in some article when having a discussion with the team?
I have no better answer to the questions above than the more I read and learn, the more creative I become. Note to self – never stop learning.
So, what did the Nobel laureates say about creativity?
- A driving force for a lot of scientists is that they truly want to understand how the world works.
- A big part of being creative is to shield yourself from all the influences from the outside such as social media and the internet so that you don’t get distracted from your own thoughts.
- There’s a big different between being productive and creative and original. Being isolated from time to time when you’re working on things will feed creativity. Being connected will keep you productive.
- You need to be connected to get the inspiration and to do your research but today few people find their own ways of doing things, and finding your own way of thinking and solve a problem is creativity.
- A big part of creativity comes from something going on in the environment around you and that pressures people to solve a problem – this is a common fact when looking at creativity from a macro perspective
- Try to make a list of all the “impossibles” you see out there, how many have become “possbiles” after 3, 5 or 10 years? Find your own impossibles and work on them.
- Creativity is power. Having power is meaningless if you don’t use it. So use your creativity and power for something that is for the greater good.
- People love science fiction. What if we would focus on social fiction and re-invent social and the society in order to tackle todays challenges?
- Human beings tend to not accept the impossible – that what keeps pushing the humanity forward and beyond.
- Creativity is combining facts that no one else has combined before – getting connections in your brain.
- Change environment and go to places where there are smart and new people – you’ll influence each others.
When are you the most creative? Do you give yourself the benefit of shielding yourself from the impressions around you?